Our Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) is offered as a step-down from residential treatment or medical detox. New clients may admit directly our PHP mental health program if they are coming from another residential program or our clinical team determines it is appropriate. Your admissions assessment will help our team decide what level of care is appropriate for you.
Usually PHP is
- Traditional outpatient care is not successful
- When the patient may need a structured living in addition to the day treatment
- When a client needs more structure throughout their day and a more intense level of therapeutic intervention
- Clients have a degree of willingness and insight to adhere to medications and participate in treatment
- Clients have completed residential mental health treatment or a medical detox, when necessary
Usually a client’s primary counselor, psychiatrist, and peer group will stay the same as the residential level. However, clients are expected to use life skills more independently and need less observation managing their psychiatric medications. Some day treatment activities overlap with residential treatment program activities, while others are designed to help day treatment clients use and practice life skills to prepare for returning to the community. Each client has a one-on-one session with a psychiatrist and an individual session with his or her primary counselor at least once each week when participating in the mental health day treatment program.
PHP clients come to our clinical space at Dunwoody Center. Group hours are from 9:00 AM- 3:00 PM. Therapeutic Living is also available for this level of care. Our team can help facilitate therapeutic living environments for clients needing more oversight and accountability during non-clinical hours. The average length of stay is 4-6 weeks before stepping down to our Intensive Outpatient (IOP) or Outpatient Program (OP).