What to Look for in Residential Treatment
There are many different treatment options for treating mental health and dual-diagnosis disorders. Some people benefit from a residential treatment program as it allows them the opportunity to focus on their needs without any outside distractions. Equally important is knowing what to look for in residential treatment to ensure it meets your care and treatment needs.
What Is Residential Treatment?
Residential treatment for mental health disorders is an intensive inpatient psychiatric care program, usually lasting from several days to several weeks. This type of treatment offers round-the-clock supervision and care from a team of mental health professionals.
The purpose is to stabilize the individual’s condition so they can transition back into their normal routines with the skills needed to manage their symptoms. Residential treatment may also be used as an alternative or supplement to medications while providing therapy and other support.
Some people also use residential treatment when starting a new medication for their mental health disorder. Other people spend time in residential treatment to gain better insight into how their disorder works.
What to Look For in Residential Treatment
When looking for a residential treatment center, you should consider the following:
- Quality of Care: Verify the facility has experienced and qualified staff who will be able to provide the quality and level of care you or your loved one needs.
- Access To Emergency Care Services: Make sure the facility is equipped with the necessary resources to provide emergency care services if needed.
- Individualized Approach To Delivery Of Care: Confirm treatment plans offered are tailored to your individual needs and will address all aspects of your mental health disorder.
- Treatment Options: Look into what type of therapy is offered at the facility (e.g., cognitive-behavioral therapy, psychotherapy). Also, ask if they provide other services such as psychiatric evaluations, TMS, medication management, family counseling, etc.
- Health and Wellness Program Options: These programs typically include activities such as nutrition education, exercise classes, stress management, educational seminars on topics related to health or wellness, and other lifestyle interventions aimed at promoting healthy living.
- Safety: Inquire about any safety protocols or policies in place to ensure the safety of all patients while they are staying at the facility.
- Accreditation: It is important to inquire about the facility’s accreditation status. Accreditation by a reputable organization indicates that the facility meets certain standards of quality care.
- Licensure: Ensure the facility is properly licensed by your state’s health department.
- Location: Consider the location of the residential treatment center and how it will impact your ability to access additional support services or family members.
- Credentialed Staff: Find out if the facility’s staff is credentialed and experienced in treating mental health disorders.
- Follow-up Care: Ask about any aftercare or follow-up care available once you are ready to leave residential treatment.
- Insurance Verification and Cost: Residential treatment centers can be expensive. So make sure to verify your insurance coverage to understand the individual costs associated with your stay before making a decision.
How Are Residential Treatment Programs Better than Outpatient Programs?
The primary difference between residential and outpatient treatment programs is the level of care one receives. With residential programs, the person has access to 24-hour care and supervision. In addition, they provide a safe, secure, and caring environment where they can focus on their mental health disorder without any outside distractions.
By being able to focus on their disorder, it can help them gain new insights into their condition. As a result, the person can develop effective coping skills and techniques to help them manage their condition more effectively.
Benefits of Our Residential Treatment Programs
The benefits of residential treatment programs at Southern Live Oak in the Atlanta area include the following:
- 24-hour Care: Round-the-clock supervision and support from our team of mental health professionals.
- A Safe Environment: Our residential treatment center provides a secure, structured environment free from distractions or triggers that may exacerbate symptoms.
- Individualized Treatment Plans: We tailor treatment plans to the individual’s needs and address all aspects of their disorder.
- Access to Necessary Resources: Our residential treatment center has access to necessary resources such as medication, therapy, counseling, etc., which can help individuals get back on track more quickly than if they were receiving outpatient care alone.
- Supportive Community: Our residential treatment facility offers a community setting where individuals can build relationships with other residents who are also struggling with mental health disorders. This supportive community can be beneficial for those looking for additional support and accountability.
- Increased Autonomy: During their treatment program, individuals learn how to manage their symptoms better so that they can eventually transition back into their everyday routines with greater independence and confidence in managing their mental health condition on their own terms.
Residential Treatment Programs in Dunwoody, GA
If you or a loved one are looking for a residential treatment program in the greater Atlanta area, look no further than Southern Live Oak Wellness in Dunwoody, GA. We offer personalized treatment options and customize a program specific to your needs and mental health disorder. To learn more about our residential programs or to verify your insurance information, contact us today!
What Our Clients Say
I have so much to say about this wonderful place, but I’m sure my words will never do my experience justice. Southern Live Oak Wellness and it’s people not only helped me find myself again, but they saved my life.
Southern Live Oak Wellness saved my life. The therapists genuinely care about the clients and helping them get better. Working on yourself is not easy, but the therapists help guide you and make you be able to work through whatever may be going on.
I can easily say that Southern Live Oak wellness saved my life. I had hit rock bottom when I first got admitted and they helped me build myself up from nothing. I have learned how to cope with things I never thought I would be able to handle.
Going to SLOW has impacted my life in ways I never thought possible. I came for help with my mental state and came out with so much more; life skills, medical advice, mental health counseling and addiction treatment. SLOW is a whole life transformation program and I highly recommend it to anyone I know!
When I was a part of this program, I had the most personal growth I’ve had in my entire life. All of the tech staff were willing to talk to me whenever I felt like I needed someone to talk to and the group sessions gave me multiple perspectives I never would’ve thought of from people in similar situations to me.
This place has changed my life. For the first time in my life I felt heard and cared about. The clinical staff is amazing. The groups are well structured. You learn a lot of different skills to help you in life this is the best mental health facility to come to.